By John Marincola
This two-volume significant other to Greek and Roman Historiography displays the recent instructions and interpretations that experience arisen within the box of old historiography long ago few decades.
- Comprises a sequence of innovative articles written by way of known scholars
- Presents huge, chronological remedies of significant concerns within the writing of heritage and antiquity
- These are complemented via chapters on person genres and sub-genres from the 5th century B.C.E. to the fourth century C.E.
- Provides a sequence of interpretative readings at the person historians
- Contains essays at the neighbouring genres of tragedy, biography, and epic, between others, and their courting to history
Read Online or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Historiography, 2 volume Set PDF
Similar ancient books
This Blackwell advisor introduces old Greek drama, which flourished mostly in Athens from the 6th century BC to the 3rd century BC.
• A broad-ranging and systematically organised creation to historical Greek drama.
• Discusses all 3 genres of Greek drama – tragedy, comedy, and satyr play.
• presents overviews of the 5 surviving playwrights – Aeschylus, Sophokles, Euripides, Aristophanes, and Menander, and short entries on misplaced playwrights.
• Covers contextual concerns corresponding to: the origins of dramatic artwork types; the conventions of the fairs and the theatre; the connection among drama and the worship of Dionysos; the political size; and the way to learn and watch Greek drama.
• comprises forty six one-page synopses of every of the surviving plays.
This daring and illuminating learn examines the position of archaeology within the formation of the trendy eastern country and explores the methods in which archaeological perform is formed by way of nationwide social and highbrow discourse. prime eastern archaeologist Koji Mizoguchi argues that an figuring out of the prior has been a primary part within the construction of nationwide identities and smooth country states and that, considering its emergence as a special educational self-discipline within the glossy period, archaeology has performed a major position in shaping that realizing.
The delivery, development and decline of the Vandal and Berber Kingdoms in North Africa have frequently been forgotten in stories of the overdue Roman and post-Roman West. even if contemporary archaeological job has alleviated this case, the huge and disparate physique of written proof from the area is still relatively ignored.
- Reallexikon Der Assyriologie Und Vorderasiatischen Archaologie (Vol. 7: Libanukasabas - Medizin)
- Severus of Antioch
Extra info for A Companion to Greek and Roman Historiography, 2 volume Set
CE Contr. Controversiae Suas. Suasoriae BCE –mid-1st Seneca the Younger, Roman politician and philosopher, 1st c. Ep. Epistulae c. 2007 7:24pm Compositor Name: PAnanthi Ancient Authors: Abbreviations xxxv Serv. Servius, commentator on Vergil, prob. 4th c. Sext. Emp. Sextus Empiricus, Greek writer, 2nd c. Math. SHA Sil. Sozom. Quad. Tyr. Quadrigae Tyrranorum (Firmus, Saturninus, Proculus and Bonosus) Silius Italicus, Latin poet, ca. 26–101 CE Punica (Punic Wars) Sophocles, Athenian tragedian, 5th c.
Acta Antiqua Academia Scientiarum Hungaricae AC L’Antiquite´ Classique AHB Ancient History Bulletin AJAH American Journal of Ancient History AJPh American Journal of Philology ALLG Archiv fu¨r lateinische Lexikographie und Grammatik AncSoc Ancient Society AncW The Ancient World ANRW Aufstieg und Niedergang der ro¨mischen Welt (Berlin, 1972–) APF Archiv fu¨r Papyrusforschung und verwandte Gebiete AR M. Chassignet, L’Annalistique Romaine, 3 vols. 2007 7:24pm Compositor Name: PAnanthi xxxviii Reference Works: Abbreviations CHCL Cambridge History of Classical Literature.
Themistocles Thes. Theseus Ti. Gracch. Tiberius Gracchus Tim. Timoleon Pol. Polybius, Greek historian, ca. 200–118 Polyaen. Polyaenus, Macedonian rhetorician and military writer, 2nd c. praef. praefatio (preface) Procop. Procopius, Greek historian, 6th c. Aed. BCE CE Aedificia (Buildings) Goth. De Bello Gothico Vand. De Bello Vandalico Prop. Propertius, Latin poet, 1st c. Ptol. Ptolemy, Greek geographer, 2nd c. Geog. BCE CE Geography Quint. Quintilian, Roman rhetorician, 1st c. Sall. Sallust, Roman historian, ca.